October is National Safe Work Month and a time when all Australian’s can commit to building safer workplaces. Minister for Employment, Senator Michaelia Cash launched the initiative earlier this month and urged all Australians to work together and share their knowledge and experiences about what makes work safe. While October is an important month to shine a light on the issue, workplace health and safety should be an everyday conversation throughout the whole year. Here are five steps you can take to create and maintain a safe and healthy workplace:
1. Design safe: Well-designed work will eliminate hazards and risks before they enter the workplace. Consider the demands, environment, tools and people who will be carrying out the task.
2. Source safe: This includes making sure all the equipment and tools needed for a job are fit for the purpose. Investing in safe equipment will keep workers safe.
3. Use safe: Talk to your colleagues and include workplace health and safety in everyday conversations.
4. Keep safe: Replacing and maintaining broken or outdated equipment, tools and systems is important to protect both physical and mental health.
5. Repeat: Making the workplace healthy and safe should be a continuous cycle of improvement.
To find out more about National Safe Work Month head to safeworkaustralia.gov.au
For more information about workplace health and safety for your business please contact us on (08) 9316 9896 or firstname.lastname@example.org